Craig Ellwood and Jerrold Ellsworth Lomax: Hunt House

1955 | Malibu, California, USA

Craig Ellwood was a modernist architect based in Los Angeles, with a career spanning from the 1950's to the 1970's. Although Hunt House was mainly credited to Craig Ellwood, the main design of the house was thought to have been done by Jerrold Lomax, with the interior furnishings being designed by Craig Ellwood associates. 

From street level, Hunt House has two distinctive garages, with the main house accessed via a walkway / terrace through the main entrance in between. The house itself is divided into 4 separate boxes with outdoor terraces, set across two levels, with the layout configured in a 'H' shape in plan. The 2 bedrooms with en suites are positioned at the front of the house, with a large open plan living area and kitchen to the rear which leads onto a terrace with views across the beach.

Photographs: Marvin Rand | Source: “Arts & Architecture” 12/1958, pp. 16-17.

Robin Walker: O'Flaherty House

1963 | Kinsale, Cork, Ireland

Robin Walker, born in Waterford in 1924, was known for his Miesian design led buildings throughout Ireland. On his return to Ireland after studying under Modernist Architect Mies van der Rohe in Chiacgo for two years, he was made a senior partner at the newly created Scott Tallon Walker Partnership. Notable projects Walker carried out include the Irish Pavillion for the 1939 Universal exhibition, and Sandycove in 1938. Following his retirement from Scott Tallon Walker in 1982, Walker chose to focus on teaching at the University of College Dublin, along with his writing and interests in town planning. He is considered one of the most important modernist architects in Ireland still today.

Designed for Michael O’Flaherty, a bachelor, this open plan pavilion sits on concrete ‘pilotis’ and provides panoramic views over Kinsale Harbour. It was very well received with Walker receiving the RIAI’s Triennial Gold Medal for the project. O’Flaherty House is clearly heavily influenced by Mies’ Farsnworth House, in taking a similar form, with the most notable difference being the trading of steel columns for reinforced concrete. The form includes eight octagonal ‘pilotis’ which carry through to roof level and the sloping site below, that hold a centre square profile form with glass on all sides.

 Photographs: Henk Snoek | Norman McGrath | Scott Tallon Walker Architects | Source: OFHouses

Marcel Breuer: Gane Pavillion

1936 | Bristol, UK

Marcel Breuer was an architect and furniture designer and one of the most renowned architects in 20th century design. Gane Pavillion, also known as the Gane Show House, Bristol Pavillion, and Gane's Pavillion, was a temporary building designed by Marcel Breuer with F.R.S Yorke, located at Ashcourt Court, near Bristol. Crofton Gane, a proprietor of P.E Gane, a Bristol furniture manufacturing company, commisioned the building to act as a showroom to display his products at the 1936 Royal Show. The building itself was clad glass and local stone, single storey form with a flat roof. Breuer considered it one of his two favourite works, after the UNESCO Headquarters building is Paris. 

Photographs: Dell & Wainwright | Architectural Press Archive | RIBA Collections

Paul Rudolf: Umbrella House

1953 | Florida, USA

The Sarasota School of Architecture, which is a regional style of post-war Architecture that emerged on Floridas Central West Coast, considers Paul Rudolf and his work which was known for its use of concrete and complex layouts. The Umbrella House, in Sarasota Florida, was designed in 1953 and was widely admired which helped secure the reputation of the young architect who would go on to be the dean if the Yale School of Architecture and internationally recognised. The house itself was commissioned by Philip Hiss as part of his Lido Shores development. The 2-storey living-dining space had balconies and bridges above leading to bedrooms at either end of the property. The roof was constructed in wooden slat which provided cooling and shading, and continued out over the pool and outside terrace, which gave to its 'Umbrella House' name. Not long after in 1966, Hurricane Alma destroyed the roof. The house was purchased in 2005 by Designers Vincent and Julie Ciulla, and has since undergone a full renovation.

 

Arthur Erikson: Helmut and Hildegard Eppich House

1971 | Vancouver, Canada

Born Vancouver in 1924, Arthur Erikson's buildings were most commonly modernist concrete structures, designed to naturally sit in their locations. Designed in 1972 , Helmut and Hildegard House Eppich House was a prime example of his design style.  The site was originally considered unbuildable, as it was used as a dumping ground. Erikson designed a concrete structure which made use of the the large site. Part of the stream which was running through the site was diverted to form a small lake which brought intimacy and reflected light to the sheltered site. The property itself comprised 3 storeys, with stepped terraces across the site, held by retaining concrete retaining walls, with beams and columns supporting the roof and trellises. Internally, the house descends through a garage and storage area at the top, the living dining, kitchen and swimming area below this, with the bedrooms and main entrance on the floor below. At basement level the man feature is the man made lake.

Photographs: Geoffrey Erickson.